Wednesday, July 29, 2009

God and Stuff

So, one of Bob's questions I figured my answer would be too long, and it would be better if I separated it and did it as one post. Here it is.

56. I have read you don’t believe in God and I believe that is a reasonable belief to hold though not one I share, would you like to explain why it is you believe God doesn’t exist?

I don't believe in the standard Christian concept of God, or any other one I've encountered so far.

I do, however, think it's likely there's was sort of creator, a higher being that gave the universe that starting push.

I don't think this creator interferes with his creations, or cares about the actions of individual people. One person, on the scale of something as large as the universe, seemingly infinite, just doesn't really matter. Even one planet doesn't on the scale of something like a galaxy. The standard Christian 'God cares about every person and their actions' is just pandering to people's sense of self importance. I'm not saying that this creator doesn't watch, I just can't accept that he prefers us to take one course of action over any other.

I see the creator as something more like an observer. It brings the universe into life and movement, then sits back to see how things turn out. A scientist, if you will, running an experiment. Never interfering, just seeing what the conclusion will be based on different beginnings.

I'm just using this scientist as a metaphor, I think science is interesting, but don't place any great importance in it. It's great that they want to understand how things work. However, I don't grant it any worth over that of someone creating music, or raising children, or loving someone.


That's pretty much my answer, but I'm gonna go on here to further expand on my personal beliefs here while I'm on the subject. I apologize in advance for how rambling and disjointed this will likely be. I do recommend continuing reading though, as I return to the subject of God as I explain my beliefs.

I choose to define my beliefs along broad and nonrestrictive terms, to give them room to change and grow. I don't really have a religion, because I haven't found one that seems right to me. Instead I have my collection of thoughts and beliefs, and it works for me.

I believe strongly in Egalitarianism. I don't believe all people are created equal, but I do believe that under the law all should be treated equal, and have the same rights.

I also believe strongly in freedom of religion. I think everyone should be free to choose what suits them. However, I do not believe they should be able to practice their chosen religion to the extent that it impacts upon the freedom of others to make their own choice. For example, one thing I detest is indoctrination of religion. I don't mind people teaching their children about their religion, but I am utterly opposed to telling them it's the only correct or true religion. Children actually believe that kind of shit, and they should have the right to practise the religion they choose.

I'm Agnostic. I believe the existence of God is inherently impossible to prove or disprove. I am an Agnostic theist though. I do believe there is a God. However, while I believe it, and the belief may be true, I cannot justify it sufficiently to consider myself as knowing that a God exists (here I'm using the classical philosophical understanding of knowledge, that it is justified true belief).

Anywho, that's all I've got at the moment. I reserve the right for it to be entirely different within several weeks, though this is no longer the likely case.

Laters,
Joshua.
I + R + G

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll vote for you!

That statement / explanation / description is close to where I am in all this.

As I have said to a number of bloggers - I do not support any church. Indeed I hate a loath what many of them say and do and would like to see many senior churchmen in prison.

But I will defend for ever a person's right to believe in the god they choose.

And that is where I am -the got s/he chooses. I believe people do choose. They choose what to believe often in a most alarming and self-serving way, but choose they do.

But like you again, I wouldn't ever sanction any one of them getting anywhere near children until those young people have grown up enough to know that 90% of what they will read and hear is untrue.

billy said...

A coherent, well-thought through explanation of your beliefs. Well done!

I'm an atheist, I just can't see any reason to believe in any deity. But I like your emphasis on freedom of religion to the point where it impacts on others. There are many religious people who live good lives in the way they act towards people. And that's what matters. Not what odd beliefs they hold.

Anonymous said...

I think an interesting alternative to the whole god concept is that god is not a single entity. Not simply a creator who makes things and interferes or watching silently.

Perhaps god is in relationships, the relationships between people, or in the ways that the universe is connected. If string theory is correct, god could be the string.

God could be pure chance, the spark of infinite variety that manifests its self in evolution, forest fires, meteor collisions, what have you.

Maybe god is everything and everything is god.

Just some thoughts on that.

Nicely articulated post though.

I quite enjoyed your last statement as well, the beauty of the human mind is that it can change on a whim or be rock solid for years.

Matt